Zendaya and Tom Holland were the modern-day Rachel and Ross, or well Peter Parker and Mary Jane - we suppose - and although a fair few people around the world have been shipping the pair ever since the first movie - Spiderman: Homecoming - was released back in 2017, and it wasn't until 2021 that they finally made a lot of fans happy and confirmed that the young Marvel actors are indeed a pair!
So while red carpet style Queen Zendaya has been doing some serious promotion ahead of the world release of Dune, on October 21, Tom Holland has been supporting his lady with some encouraging Instagram posts which got us thinking back to those early days of when we all wondered "Will they? Won't they?" so below we've made a relationship timeline to refresh all our memories on their journey to being a couple.
Zendaya and Tom Holland relationship timeline
2016 - Tom calls Zendaya his best friend
- The pair met while filming for Spider-Man: Homecoming in summer 2016, and Tom told People Zendaya is his BFF. "We are like the best of friends. She’s so great and amazing. I’m a little worried [about dealing with fame…but] Zendaya is super famous and she’s been through this, and I just call her up and say, ‘How do I manage being famous?’ I’m very glad I have a friend like her.”
2017 - The pair look cosy on a press tour, but deny they're dating
- Ahead of Spider-Man's release on 5 July 2017, the pair partake in a global press tour and are photographed multiple times getting on like a house on fire. Another source tells People, "They started seeing each other while they were filming Spider-Man. They’ve been super careful to keep it private and out of the public eye, but they’ve gone on vacations with each other and try and spend as much time as possible with one another.”
- However Zendaya shut down the speculation by taking to Twitter, writing, "Wait wait…my favourite is when it says we go on vacations together HA! I haven’t been on a vacation in years! hbu @TomHolland1996???” to which Holland responds, "Does the press tour count?"
May 2018 - Tom praises Zendaya's Met Gala get up
- "All hail the queen. Killing it mate ??" he writes on Instagram, in a post that had over 2.5million likes.
2019 - 2020 - The pair seemingly date other people
- Zendaya reportedly starts dating herEuphoriaco-star in summer 2019, when they were photographed holidaying in Greece and later spending Thanksgiving together in Australia.
- Tom, meanwhile, went Instagram-official with girlfriend Nadia Parks in July 2020, after the pair reportedly quarantined together during the lockdown. "It was early days for Tom and Nadia when the lockdown was announced in London," a source told.
- Tom calls the constant speculation around his love life 'incredibly frustrating', after he accidentally tags Zendaya in one of his Instagram posts and the internet goes wild. "You mean, because I tagged Zendaya over my groin in an Instagram post?” Holland quipped to British GQ when asked about relationship speculation.
2nd July 2021
But wait! Zendaya and Tom are a thing! The pair send Twitter into a meltdown when Page Six publish photos of them making out in Tom's car during a drive in the LA suburb of Silver Lake. Tomdaya is real, people!